Thursday, July 31, 2008

Enemies

The team was facing some bleak prospects when Season Five started. They were stranded far from home, and Apophis was about to turn them into space debris. He was powering his weapons when another ship appeared and attacked. This allowed the team to take temporary refuge within a star’s corona sphere.

When the team reentered open space, they quickly discovered that Replicators had infested Apophis’s ship. The team was able to recover a set of hyperdrive crystals from the abandoned vessel. They got into a shootout with the mechanical bugs and fled just moments before the ship self-destructed.

I really liked the “We’re not going to make it” dialogue in this episode. The relationship between Sam and Jacob has grown fantastically over time. They have such a natural fit. Plus, it’s a hoot whenever Jack interacts with the Tok’ra.

We learned that Teal’c had been revived by Apophis and was brainwashed. He tricked the team and led an invasion that allowed Apophis to take control of their ship. Of course, Apophis always travels with too much luggage. (He’s such a diva.) A Replicator stowaway quickly began eating its way through the ship.

The Replicators created a huge bug that zipped everyone back to the Milky Way. Fearing the Replicators would take over the galaxy, the team devised a plan. They crashed the ship after it left hyperspace and escaped with Teal’c in a cargo ship. Teal’c was still convinced that Apophis was his god.

The Replicators and Apophis were destroyed. Or were they? Okay, this actually was the end of old snake boy. As much as I loved his outlandish arrogance and incredible resilience, it was time to turn the page. He was a great villain. Hey, there are always alternate realities.

My Rating: 9/10

___________________________

You might have noticed that I have been a huge slacker lately. There are two reasons for this. 1) I have been sick and didn’t have the energy to write. 2) I was starting to lose my motivation. I even considered quitting the project. Then I watched Continuum. Oh My God! I couldn’t believe how great that was. It completely reignited my love for the show. So, I’m going to jump back on the proverbial horse. I have about a month of free time before grad school starts up, so expect the updates to come fast and furious. 

1 comment:

Aabye said...

Finally, the houseguest has moved on! Apophis is probably my favorite villain, but he was beginning to overstay his welcome. Pity it couldn't have been SG-1 to bump him off, but I guess it made sense that it was the Replicators that got him because it emphasized what the Asgard meant by saying they faced an even greater threat.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, and that you're planning on picking up speed. Four seasons down, nine left to go. Happy gating.