Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Secrets

Holy cow, there were a lot of very good plotlines crammed into this episode. Daniel returned to Abydos, a reporter learned about the stargate program, Sam’s dad made his first appearance, Sha’uri was pregnant, and Heru’ur planned to steal the baby. Exhale. 

Teal’c and Daniel discovered Sha’uri had been living on Abydos with a little bun in the oven. Her goa’uld relinquished control of the body to protect the unborn baby, but would revive after the birth. Apophis was the proud papa and planned to use the resulting child as his future host. How creepy is that? 

Heru’ur didn’t like that idea and sent his Jaffa out to find Sha’uri. She gave birth to a little boy while they were searching. Teal’c was in charge of the postnatal care and decided to shoot Sha’uri with a zat gun. Obviously, they have health care issues on Chulak. 

Sam and Jack were in Washington, DC while all that was happening. They were supposed to meet the president during a medal ceremony. General Jacob Carter, Sam’s dad, came to the party with some good news and some bad news. The good news: Sam can quit her boring job and join NASA. The bad news: He had cancer. For the love of God, somebody better give Sam a hug. 

A reporter with leaked information about the stargate program accosted Jack for a comment. Jack played it cool and denied everything with his characteristic charm. After a second meeting with Jack, the reporter died after he either accidentally walked into traffic or was purposely run over by a government goon. 

I’m sorry. I can’t resist a truly bad pun. “That’s one way to kill a story.” 

I’ll get my coat. 

One last note: Apophis was really pushing the limits of Goa’uld fashion in that final scene, but he was totally outclassed by Sha’uri’s headdress. I sort of wish everyone dressed like that in real life.

 My Rating: 9/10

1 comment:

Aabye said...

I think this was the first episode that I ever saw of SG-1, and I came in halfway through. I was pretty confused and was trying to figure out what the Air Force people had to do with the two guys stuck in the desert.

But when I saw it again in context of the series, it wasn't a bad episode to begin with. It moved a lot of the main storylines forward and introduced one half of one of my favorite characters, Jacob.